Tuesday, July 18, 2006

BSFUC: Back to square one?

Unfortunately, it looks as though I won't get to read the rest of the Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children any time soon after all. On the other hand, I wasn't expecting to at all before last spring. So perhaps I can sweep away the disappointment by simply dialing back my expectations a year or so on this.

On the bright side, I have gotten to meet the author (well, you know, over the web), which is pretty awesome.

Last year, I wrote on this blog of my excitement at the appearance of the scans of all the BSFUC issues and then my disappointment at their disappearance. This year, I wrote of my excitement at the prospect of publication of a BSFUC anthology, and now it's necessary to note my disappointment at the collapse postponement of that plan.

Since the delinquent beginning of my involvement last fall with Dave and Dan's message board, I've kept an eye on it pretty regularly. What I didn't watch, though, was another page on the BSFUC site called BSFUC Nation. Naturally, that's where the devious Dave dished on the deal's demise.
Unfortunately, the would-be publisher went bankrupt soon after coming into contact with us, and now the deal is off. Good to know that our reverse Midas touch is still intact!
I noticed this only after, Spring having come and gone, I e-mailed him and asked what the word was on the anthology, and he pointed out that the deal fell through a while ago and he'd already posted on it.

"Hmmmm?" I grunted, in my best confused Scooby-Doo voice, and remembered the BSFUC Nation page. The trouble is he updates that page pretty much quarterly. It's one of the same reasons people don't follow this blog. They can't have any reasonable expectation of finding new content from one day to the next. (Well, that and my navel-gazing bores them.)

The solution, of course, to keeping up to date without needing to check back to a site all the time is RSS. I didn't think BSFUC Nation had an RSS feed, though, but I can't even tell anymore, because all I know is now I'm subscribed to an update feed for it I made with RSSPECT, a service from Ryan North (of Dinosaur Comics!) that can create feeds for any site. So now I should stay up to speed on that, at least. You can tell I know what the important things are in life.

So, anyway, the point is despite my earlier announcement, there was no Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children anthology this spring, nor this summer, and while Dave remains confident it will happen, we are left without anything concrete. Just so we're clear on that. Stay tuned, and give him and Dan support that they might be able to use to entice publishers.

10 Comments:

Blogger Steve Ely said...

I actually feel kind of guilty, because I could probably draw a lot more traffic than I do, and Dave may think this blog is good for more publicity than it really is, so I'm sort of letting him down.

Man, I'll always find something to worry about.

1:20 AM  
Blogger Steve Ely said...

What I'll have to do is build up a whole lot more regular traffic and then put up a post really pushing the book.

Then I'll be legit.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Steve Ely said...

And then I should totally have a conversation about it with myself in the comments.

1:48 AM  
Blogger Dylan said...

Sorry to end your solo conversation, but THANKS for posting about rsspect!!!!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Steve Ely said...

Varied voices tend to improve the sound of things around here, of course.

Getting comments is exciting!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Dylan said...

So, wait...how many issues of bsfuc have you read?

12:57 AM  
Blogger Steve Ely said...

Here's what happened: I read one issue, "I Am Paul's Dog," when I was about 15. I bought it at a shop near my cousin's place about three hours away from where I lived. I was mighty impressed but don't remember seeing another issue in person after that. It looks as though there only were six more issues, so it's very plausible that my memory's accurate on that.

By the time we closed out the 1990s and got the whole Inter-Net thingy, I probably could have tracked down and bought most of the issues online, but somehow that didn't occur to me. Anyway, those old issues range from, what, $7-20 apiece or something? That adds up. I stuck with the policy of just always asking about it whenever in a comic shop and hoping for the best.

I was thrilled when they put all those scans up, but, like an idiot, immediately took it for granted. Read three of them, saved the rest for later, and realized months later that I had let them slip away again. Damn it! Ah, Wasted Opportunity, my trademark! Ah, Regret, my intimate companion. Fitting that this very blog was founded upon regret.

I need for that collection to see print. In case that publisher that 7odd recommended doesn't work out, I'd better start researching some other posibilities. Heck, if takes long enough, I'll probably end up having to enter the publishing business on my own.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Steve Ely said...

Actually, as Dylan pointed out to me in an e-mail, several issues are available on eBay for under $4 apiece. So I oughta acknowledge my wrongness about the cost.

Unfortunately, I've managed my finances in foolish fashion and am frighteningly broke. If I've got disposable income before the collected series gets republished, I probably will pick up available issues from eBay.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Coco Love said...

Not all are true. Everyone has their own way of thinking but I think they have to reconsider. I like to argue for the most accurate results.
http://fivenightsatfreddysplay.com

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home