Saturday, June 17, 2006

It's good that she's wary.

Peter Lynn has a section in his sidebar entitled "What People Are Saying About Peter Lynn" filled with not only the ample praise he's received in comments and on the web elsewhere from readers but also the insults and outright denunciations.

The praise outweighs the criticism, but some fun highlights of the latter are

"... you almost come across as human in that story! Well done!"
"You're hated around the office, aren't you?"
"Your misery brightens my day - thank you."
"Why do you insist on ruining everything?"
and
"... we're no longer friends, after your gross calumny and slander on manvsclown."

He's described these to me as "strangely satisfying."

I don't plan on copying the feature, but I can certainly identify with the satisfaction that comes from people recognizing and responding to what we write. Also with the element of that satisfaction that comes from the perceptiveness evident sometimes in a less enthusiastic view. Skepticism, at least.

I personally provoke little comment or opinion with my bland and infrequent remarks here. This site is such a meager little effort that most of the visitors are hapless Googlers querying on crustaceans, BSFUC, and Equifax vice-presidents. Generally they return whence they came with nary a word, and so I tend to take for granted that the only people who hold any thought of this blog as a whole are a few of my friends and some some scattered bloggers elsewhere.

Of course, there was a time when the scope of folks I presumed to intentionally read this stuff didn't inclulde those bloggers, and I was happily surprised to discover I'd made an impression. The happy novelty of that kind of surprise hasn't worn off yet.

This morning I noticed an unfamiliar site in the referral log and, checking it out, was all too flattered by the description of me therein. It's really cool to have complete strangers appear out of nowhere and announce that I'm "very witty." That really made my morning. "I'm 'very witty,'" I'd say to myself, doing stuff around the apartment.

Also, it's a compliment to my approach with some topics, I think, that she calls me "exhaustive."

"Not exhausting," she clarifies, then qualifies that: "Well, not yet."

Some people have more patience than others, but I think it's smart of her to be prepared.

Just wait. You'll get there.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter Lynn said...

I suspected you might be very witty.

Stay tuned for some upcoming denunciations from my fellow Cracked bloggers, who are holding a very silly fake blog battle and are attempting to draw me in.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Steve Ely said...

I'm not entirely sure how a silly fake blog battle works, but it sounds like a clever marketing tactic. Turn readers of MvC, for instance, once they draw you in, into readers of Cracked more generally.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

The idea is that they're going to drive traffic back and forth to each other's blogs. It's just so patently fake, though, that it comes off as a bit of a circle jerk.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Steve Ely said...

"Patently fake" and "circle jerk" are concepts that seem unlikely to improve the quality of a blog.

My verification word is "ttsssynj." I think Blogger has developed a stuttering problem.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home